We have bad dogs. Ok, they aren't bad like Jim's dogs, that have to be introduced to other dogs gradually, and aren't allowed to play together because they fight over the toys to the point of injury.
And they aren't bad like our old neighbor's dogs, which used to chase us down the street and try to bite our ankles.
And they aren't bad like Meisha and Joey and Rizzy, who roam in a sort of pack around the arena, and sit on the jumps while you jump over them.
No, our dogs just like to bolt into the neighbor's yard and play with his dogs. And then we have to climb over the fence and go and get them and drag them home all the way around the driveways and into the road (because they are bad and don't come every time we call. They only come when we are more interesting than whatever else they are doing!). About a week ago, I was standing in Dale's yard, bent over and holding my dog by the collar, having gone to get him for about the third time that week. I cricked my neck up at Dale and said, 'Maybe we should put a gate in the fence, so it's easier for me to come and get my dog! And then your dogs can come over and play, and you can come get THEM instead!'
And he said, 'Y'know? I never even would have considered that with our old neighbor, but it sure seems like a good idea now!' And I laughed and took my dog home.
Today, I came home to find him putting a gate in the fence. So we can come and go across the fence more easily, exchanging veggies, eggs, dogs, beers and tall tales.
Robert Frost said (I'm paraphrasing) that before he built a fence, he'd want to know what he was fencing in or what he was fencing out. It's nice to know that we haven't fenced out neighborliness, friendship, and a connection to those around us. I've got to go. Somebody's been working hard all afternoon, and needs me to bring them a beer...
No comments:
Post a Comment