Thursday, June 24, 2010

Summer!

is finally here, right on track with the astronomical calendar, which said it started a couple of days ago. It's in the low 90's today, but feels like 80s out here on the farm.

Our boarders (Jo and Shawna) have come, and it's so much fun to have them here! We have four horses on the property now, which is a big enough increase to keep mornings interesting. It's so much fun to see them playing in the arena, walking their horses in and out, and having a good time! Yesterday, we had five ride in the arena (a friend came and had her lesson here), and it held up just fine. I dragged it this morning, and Jo and Shawna rode in it today. I believe it's getting a smidge deep at the east end, so I will concentrate on moving some of that footing toward the west over the next couple of days.

Lessons again yesterday, and it's such an enormous pleasure to lean on the fence and watch people ride, and listen to the instructor. I learn almost as much by watching other people's lessons as I do by riding! And there was definitely a moment when I was done riding, and tired and had dried sweat all down my back and in my hair and I was watching Kathy and Io go 'round, and I felt like I could just happily stand there forever, pleasantly tired from a good day's work, watching horses. It's like there's a hole in my eye, and only a horse fits there.

The dogs got into the pasture today, together, and teamed up against T, which was unfair. She's too nice to actually kick them, and they annoyed her into running away, which really got them going. We've ordered a shock collar. The dogs are pretty good about the horses one at a time, but once they both get in there, they start working as a team, and that's unacceptable. They'll learn. I anticipate two days for Smokey to learn not to chase the horses (at least, not to chase the horses when the collar is on!). It will probably take Captain two years. He's the pretty one...

Everyone who's been through the old house has said we should do something about the yard. So we've hired someone to do something about the yard. This usually isn't a problem, but with this year's rain, the grass is about over my head... Keep your fingers crossed that it goes soon, because it's kind of a dead weight in the back of my mind.

Baby steps on another frontier. I spent half an hour talking with a specific person who shall remain unnamed before I took the bait, turned into physics butthead #5 and started arguing. But this time, for the first time, I was completely aware that I was being baited WHILE it was happening. There's no way on god's green earth that one person could bring up that many sensitive subjects in half an hour if they weren't spoiling for an argument. I also realized I fell for the bait, and refused to continue arguing, but then unnamed person wouldn't let me stop arguing (kept arguing against me, even after I changed the subject: #8), so I had to exit the conversation less than gracefully. STILL. It's progress! It's my life's work to figure out how NOT to rise to the bait. J has asked me not to talk to said person anymore. Maybe he's right...

Still, everything is awesome. I've got no complaints. Not really. Except that I'm hungry, and should go eat now... Hope all is well in everyone's neck of the woods. Although it would be too much to ask to hope that all of you are having as much fun as me!

No comments:

Post a Comment