Just sent off Chapters 1-3 to my editor, so now I have a minute, while I wait for feedback. I can catch all of you up on what else is going on! It's a lot!
The arena is moving along. They've leveled the sub-base, and compacted it, so that it's really quite hard. The next step is to bring in some gravel, similar to road base. It is turning out to be difficult to find the exact stuff called for in the specs, but I think 3/4" road base will do the job, and will be much less expensive than what was quoted to us originally.
We've moved all the furniture out of the old house. There are only a few things left over there that had to be moved individually, because they are fragile. Several people drove by while we were packing the van and eyeballed the house. A neighbor has called the realtor, and really, really wants to buy the old house. So does the University. It would be completely awesome if we had an offer on it before we even listed it, and especially before we leave for London next week! (Hang on there, Turbo. It's not going to be that easy!)
We've been hustling like crazy to try to get the new stalls finished before we leave, but we're not going to make it. We got a lot of re-wiring done, and the stall fronts are up, and filled with wood, but the dividers are still under construction, and we've still got to put up the interior walls to protect the metal outer walls from the horses. Things always take longer than you expect, because there's always a surprise somewhere! The welder will keep working while we are gone, so hopefully, we'll be able to come home and stuff the wood in there, and move the horses home right away.
Fences are also in limbo, while we wait for the arena to be finished. They need to be able to move the big equipment in and around the area, so we have to wait for that. We have most of the materials in hand, and our lovely neighbor has offered to loan us his tractor with a PTO post-hole-digger, so once we can start, we should finish in no time flat.
Most of the boxes are unpacked, so we've found our passports. Phew!
I'm hearing rumors of dissatisfaction with my handling of the Museum already! A colleague was concerned enough to call me at home, and tell me about what people are saying. Who would think I could cause a big stink after working only 16 hours? These people are not really upset about me, but about the Dean and the old Director, and how the change occurred, and they are nervous and upset and feeling disenfranchised. I just happen to be in the way of their venom that's spewing all over the place. Nothing I can do about it, except keep my head down, do the best job I know how to do, and protect my staff as much as possible. Oh, and do an amazing job on my book so that in a couple of years I can stay home with my ponies and I won't have to work anymore. ; )
Snow today! Just now. Outside the window. Sheesh! The boys are owning the dark gray chaise, which is in the front window. They sit there while I write and keep an eye on the street and try not to fall asleep. All of us are muscle-sore, even the dogs... Once in a while, Smokey decides to sleep on my feet instead, which is nice because he warms my toes. What good dogs!
No comments:
Post a Comment