Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Just in time...

We finished the harvest! Just in time for the weather to turn truly cold and snowy. We'll have a hard frost this week, for certain. The chickens are molting, poor little things. They'd better grow their feathers back quick! And also start laying again before I get a hankerin' for fried chicken!

Sunday, I juiced the last of the apples. I did 2.5 bushels all in one day, and if I don't see another apple until next year, that'll be ok. That's six---count 'em SIX--whole bushels this year, all from our own trees! And we missed about half of them, what with being overwhelmed, and not knowing what we are doing... I started a batch of cider brewing, rather than can all five gallons of juice. (There's applesauce aplenty as well---don't fret!)

So, now our basement is chock full of good things to eat, and come what may, we won't starve, at least. In these anxiety-ridden times, that's not nothing. There's a tiny corner of my head that is quiet now. I didn't even know it was fidgeting until it stopped.

No comments:

Post a Comment